Monday, September 1, 2008

Growing in patience...or so I thought....

Well, I thought I would start my off my first blog telling you how I thought I was handling my sweet 2 year old daughters surgery. Finnely, my 3rd child, had her tonsils and adenoids taken out and ear tubes put in on Friday. The surgery itself went very well. She was only gone from me about an hour. I was thankful everything went well because I have heard all the horror stories about bleeding after and during surgery. I was sure my child would be the 2-3% that this happens to. When she wasn't in that %, I was relieved, that is until I got to her. Of course, I knew she would be out of it but I wasn't prepared for just how out of it she was.

I had a sweater on, because you all know how freezing hospitals can be. So, when I walked into the cubicle where she was waking up after surgery, I heard her screaming, "I want my mommy!" I knew she wanted me, at that moment, I wanted my mommy too!. I tried to take my sweater off, cuz I was getting hot real fast and the nurse handed her to me, before I could even get it off. At that point, my patience, was very strained. Finnely was wailing her arms around, noticing she had an IV in her hand, she punched me in the nose. My eyes started to water and I was trying to stay calm but I was stressed out!!! I was so hot, (from not getting my sweater off in time, my own fault, I guess, for wearing a sweater in August) I thought I was going to pass out. She was standing on my legs and screaming so loud. She had no idea what was going on or where she was. It was scary and all I wanted to do was scream right along with her. Finally the nurse, noticed my frustation and helped hold her up , so I could finally and thankfully take off the heater that I was wearing.

After what seemed like days, which in reality was only about an hour and half, she rested. Oh, how I LOVE when my children are sleeping. We stayed in recovery, not very long after she feel asleep and then we were off to the Peds department @ the hospital. Of course, the nurses there had to wake her up to take vitals and do their work. She woke up just as irate and scared as before. I, at that moment, wanted to tell the nurse to let her sleep, knowing though, that we would be there longer and that the nurse needed to do her job. So, I kept quiet and helped hold her down so they could do the pulse ox on her toe. She hated it, btw.

Thankfully as soon as the nurse was out the door, Finnely was again asleep. She looked like someone beat her. Her face was all swollen and purple. It was a little frightening. Just when I thought, maybe I should rest too, I needed to pee. Great, now what was I going to do?? Luckily, my nurse came in again. She asked it I needed and anything, I said, "I'm going to need to use the restroom soon" and she held out her arms and asked if she could hold Finn while I went. What a sweetheart, she was!Thankfully Finn only woke for a minute and fell right back to sleep after she was back in my arms. We rocked in the chair until that made her sick. She threw up a couple of times until the nurse told me to stop rocking. Once I figured out I was making her more sick by rocking her, we layed in the bed, (which was perfect for her, me not so much). I was trapped, with my head touching the top and my feet flat against the foot rail. It was uncomfortable to say the least, but Finnely slept for 2 hours. It was wonderful to see that.

When she did wake, she noticed that the ceiling tiles had stars etched into them. She immediatly starting singing "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star". I was so excited to see her back to herself again. After seeing her smiling and singing, I thought, ok I can do this now.

The rest of the afternoon was pretty good. Once we got home, she was laughing and playing and wanting lot of snacks: jello, pudding, popsickles, juice. Not really eating any of it but wanting all of it. At that point, I didn't care, I gave it all to her. Anything to help make her feeling better and eat something, anything.

I'll get back to you on how the rest of the weekend went and how she is healing but until then, pray that my patience grows during this process.

1 comment:

shainapearce.com said...

poor baby girl! I think it's so hard to see your children in pain, even if you know it's for their own good. And what an adventure for you! This is great - I shall subscribe! Keep it up!!