Wednesday, September 3, 2008

So I beginning to wonder if there will come a day where everyone in my family is healthy....

Today I took Greyson (my 13th month old) to have a hearing test done, to monitor how he is doing since he had his tubes put in a little over a month ago. I went in thinking nothing of it. Well there was a problem, he only passed one side of the test. His right ear showed a no pass on the test. He then proceded to see the doctor to make sure the tubes were open and working, which they were. The doc explained that most people think as long as you have one ear that can hear that is enough. I am NOT one of those people when it comes to my son, who can't even talk yet. The questions in my mind just kept coming. At first I felt afraid, then in denial, and didn't want to deal with it, but I know I have to. He is my little boy. I know what it is like to only be able to hear on one side. It is frustrating and very difficult. Yes, it can be done but not easily. I lost my hearing when I was little. I had a disease called Cholestatoma that eats away the bones in your ears. I have had 8 surgeries on my right ear and still have an 80% loss. I don't want that for my son. Is that wrong??? I know this is something I can and would have to deal with but I am struggling with it. The doctor gave us a couple of options, wait 3-4 months and take the test again, which could lead to further loss if it isn't as bad a we think or we can go to IA City and have an ABR (Auditory Brainstem Response) test. Sounds a little scary. It measures the brainwaves during sound that little ones can't tell you they hear. They need to be sedated or sleeping during the test but the test itself is painless. We are waiting now for the nurse here in town to make the appt. I have all these questions and I'm trying very hard to be patient in waiting until the appt comes and we find out the results.

All of these trials and health problems with all of my children are definitely helping me put my trust in God. I know with the power of prayer and trusting in Christ is the ONLY way I am making it through this time.

1 comment:

shainapearce.com said...

Wow. It's so hard when our kiddos are sick, and I can only imagine how scary this is. We will be praying for you and little Greyson.