Tuesday, September 2, 2008

ongoing struggle........

Today is the 5th day after my daughter's surgery. It is taking it's toll on me. Whoever said "it will be fine, kids bounce right back", didn't have to force and hold down a 2 year old and plug her nose to make her take her must-needed medicine. I think if I didn't have to make her take her meds, I'd be fine, but this is terrible. Setting the alarm for every 4 hours to give her the grossest medicine in the world is something I will be so happy to be done with. She is sleeping better, which is good. She still can't eat anything but "soft foods" for another week. Here we were the other night, eating Carlos O Kelly's and she had to eat jello & pudding, I had brought from home. It was so sad.

I lost it a little bit last night @ around 1:30 a.m. when it was one of her nightly doses. I thought, ok this is going to be easy, she seemed to be awake and "with it". She even held onto her water glass. When the first half of the dose went it, she spit it all over her new pj's and on the counter. I lost it! I just yelled "AHHHHH, I can't do it anymore!" Of course, she was scared then. Thankfully my dear sweet husband came running down the stairs and very calmly and patiently gave her the rest of her medicine, without any complaint from me, I might add. I was so thankful that he could get her to take it, but also a little bit hurt at the same time. Why wouldn't she take it for me??? Why do kids always want their mommy when something hurts but that daddy is really the one to fix it?!? At least my kids are that way.

Finnely woke up from her nice, long nap this afternoon to find a card that her pre-school class had made for her. She hasn't let go of it since, either. What a sweet teacher and friends she has made in only a week. It will be nice next week when she gets to go back.

I am hoping tonight's med doses go smoother as I have been praying about it and trying very hard to be calm and see things from her perspective. Wish me luck....until next time.....



1 comment:

shainapearce.com said...

That sucks! Cael gets sick all the time and usually has really high fevers, which means setting the alarms to go off throughout the night to give him meds - but at least those are tylenol and motrin. He's had some nasty medicines before, but I wouldn't want to WAKE him to give them! How long until you're done with these meds? LEt me know if there's anything I can help you with. For real - make a meal, or do some laundry. Anything.